Pages

Friday, December 18, 2009

Gift of a Poem

It was one year ago today that I received my last hug from my friend Granny Lin. She came that snowy and cold evening so I could go to a PTO cookie exchange. When I came home the kids were all in bed and I was in good spirits after having cookies and strong eggnog with other moms. Lin and I cheerfully talked about upcoming Christmas festivities with our families and she promised to drop off her famous yeast rolls on Christmas. I walked her out to her car and gave her a big warm hug. That was the last time I saw Lin. She passed away due to pneumonia shortly after that day.

I found out a couple months later that she had gone home that night and written me a poem. Her husband recalled she was very intent on finishing this poem and stayed up late into the night. He found the poem on her computer desktop weeks after her passing and gave it to me.
It is truly a gift.

Dear Kathy,
There is nothing more beautiful than the rainbow
There is nothing more uplifting than the raindrops glow
There is nothing more exhilarating than the gentle winds
There is nothing more blessed than the sun God sends.
Only a child of God is more marvelous
Walk tall, you're a daughter of God
Cling fast, fast to the iron rod
Recognize the beautiful rainbow that your are
Be aware that though the rain falls from afar,
If you will listen
You can almost hear it glisten.
Be aware that though the winds are gentle and sweet,
You can almost see them as the flowers move to its beat.
Be aware that though the sun makes no sounds
You can almost hear the joy it causes; it abounds.
LB Toney Dec. 18, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment