Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Turning Over a New Lettuce Leaf


Be still my beating heart...I found a fresh produce stand just down the road from my house and it's a wonderful thing! I stopped by the new little tent in front of a big farm house with only five bucks in my pocket. The friendly farmer walked up taking a bite out of a gorgeous green pepper. He enthusiastically told me all that he had to offer. I picked three green peppers for a dollar, three cucumbers for another dollar, a zucchini, and gave him my order for lettuce. He went out to his wife who was working in the giant garden and had her cut me some wilted and leaf lettuce. I paid him the five bucks and he threw in extra cucumbers and a giant zucchini that he said is good for frying.

I raced home and washed all the veggies. I threw some bacon on my little griddle since my gas top stove is out due to some home construction we are having done. As the bacon fried I sliced up some tomatoes, avocados, cucumbers, and zucchini. I toasted some bread and spread it with a little cream cheese. Added the bacon, fresh picked lettuce, tomato, avocado, and salt and pepper, and ended up with some scrumptious California BLT's which are my absolute favorite sandwich in the whole world!

While eating the sandwich I threw some thick slices of zucchini on the hot griddle with bacon grease. I let these fry up for a few minutes on each side until golden brown, added a little salt, and put them on a paper towel to cool. Delicious!

I decided to dedicate the next few weeks to seeing what I can create with the bountiful produce from my nearby veggie stand and my little kitchen island griddle. Let the chopping and cooking begin!
K

No comments:

Post a Comment