Pages

Monday, November 9, 2009

Indian Summer Beef Stew

This is the season where I pull my crock pot off the shelf and start cooking. This past weekend was so beautiful that I wanted to spend time with my family outside instead of living in the kitchen. I created this stew recipe with most of the veggies in my fridge and a quick trip to the store for some fresh stew meat and rolls. My sister and her family and my 94 year old grandmother joined us for a wonderful Sunday on the ranch. We went hiking and creek stomping and then came inside for the stew and hot crusty rolls. I knew it was a hit when there were few leftovers and my sister asked for the recipe. So Libby and friends, here it is.
Indian Summer Beef Stew
This recipe will feed up to 12-15 and can be halved.
Ingredients
4 lbs. stew meat, browned
1 lb. baby carrots
4-6 Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
4 celery ribs, sliced
2 onions, chopped
3 bay leaves
1 pkg onion soup mix
1 T. paprika
2 T. brown sugar
3 cups water
1 jar of tomato sauce - I use Ragu traditional old world
grated black pepper
fresh parsley to garnish

Brown stew meat in large skillet. I like to heat the pan and drizzle olive oil, a splash of red wine, and Worcestershire sauce and then add the meat to brown. While the meat is browning chop all veggies and place in slow cooker. Add bay leaves, water, spices, soup mix, tomato sauce, and black pepper. Add browned stew meat and put lid on. Heat 6-8 hours. Served with crusty rolls and butter and be ready for a delicious meal.

Shine your light,
Kathy Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment