Pages

Friday, March 5, 2010

Thoughts on Leadership


If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

We are all leaders in some areas of our lives. Being a mom of four, I feel this is the most challenging leadership position yet. I absolutely want to inspire my kids to dream, learn, and become their personal best. My most inspirational leaders have been my parents and friends.

What leadership position do you have? Is it parenting, in your career, or in your community? Most of us have a combination of leadership roles.

What leaders do you turn to in your life? Who inspires you to dream more, learn more and become more? In the link I posted below. Alex Lickerman M.D writes his thoughts on leadership on his blog Happiness in this World.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/happiness-in-world/200911/how-be-leader

To summarize his blog post he writes his ten requirements to being a great leader.
1.Be confident
2.Be kind but firm
3.Be an expert
4.Be decisive
5.Be willing to have people disagree with you
6.Know when to spend time building a consensus and when to make an executive decision
7.Have a vision
8.Care about the people you lead
9.Mentor people
10.Fully visualize every repercussion of each of your decisions in advance.

The one that jumps out at me today is #7 Have a vision. Do you have a vision for your life or family or business or community? This is something I will contemplate and expand upon more in a future blog. Now I have to spray paint my corn hole game and set up for the school's Spring Fling fundraiser. PTO Mom - is that leadership?
Shine your light,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment