Pages

Monday, March 8, 2010

Time to Putter


So you see, imagination needs moodling - long, inefficient, happy idling, dawdling and puttering. Brenda Ueland


Putter - verb. To busy or occupy oneself in a leisurely, casual, or ineffective manner: to putter in the garden.

It is a scrumptious sunny day today and I am fighting a cold. My throat is scratchy and raw and my muscles are sore. My energy level is low. After grocery shopping with my six and two year old, taking them to a little park, and dropping my daughter off at P.M. Kindergarten I was whipped. Since my little Scout has a cold too he agreeably went down for a nap.

Instead of darting around multitasking, I made a strong cup of tea and took it easy. After the tea and Advil kicked in and the house was peaceful and quiet, I spent an hour puttering. By puttering I mean leisurely going through piled up catalogs and magazines, and casually thinking about the house and ways to freshen it up for spring.

I ask myself, do I need to be sick with a cold to take time to putter? Taking time to putter and to just go with the flow is actually productive. It creates space for being rather than doing. It made me feel like my house was my home instead of a constant work space.

Looking on the bright side, having this cold gave me the gift of puttering today. I am grateful for that. Have you puttered lately?
Shine your light,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment