Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Gift of a Letter


Letter writing is the only device for combining solitude with good company.
Lord Byron

My husband has two aunts that still believe in the written word and post office. They even have e-mail accounts. Yesterday I trudged through the snow down our long driveway to collect the trash bin and mail. To my delight there was a card postmarked from Colorado by Aunt Karen.

After getting comfortable in the house I gently opened the card. It had a painting of a beautiful pink orchid and green hummingbird on it. Inside was a letter to say hello and describing her Victorian doll house project and recent orders from seed catalogs for the upcoming spring.

This card is sitting on my desk and has brought me joy. Unlike an e-mail, I can pick this card up, ponder her writings, and enjoy the painting. Now it is my turn to "write" her back the real way. I encourage you to surprise and brighten a friends day with the gift of a letter.
Shine your light,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment